How to crate train
Crate training is a way of confining a dog to help them adapt to a new environment or new commands.
Crate training can help with:
2. Destructive behaviours
4. Confinement following a surgical procedure
5. Preparation for travel
Crate training should always be used in conjunction with other management and training techniques to achieve the desired outcomes.
When choosing a crate, always ensure that it is large enough for the dog to stand up, turn around and lie comfortably.
ACCLIMATING YOUR PET TO THE CRATE
Tips for getting your pet comfortable with its crate:
- Introduce from a young age
- Place a comfortable bed or blanket inside
- Position the crate in an area where the pet can see you such as the kitchen
- Occasionally place treats in there
- Offer chew toys and treats for when they are in the crate only
- Start closing the door for only short periods of time, starting at 5 minutes and increasing to up to 2-4 hours
- Exercise your pet before placing them in the crate for long periods of time