Baby Hand Raised Budgies
Budgies are also known as budgerigars or parakeets and are an extremely popular pet bird. These small parrots make delightful pets and are usually friendly and easy to tame. While they can sometimes be difficult to understand, they are also quite capable of mimicking human speech.
Budgies Need More Than Seeds in Their Diets. Since they're small, budgies are relatively inexpensive to care for and feed. But contrary to popular belief, a diet consisting only of seeds is not good for a small bird like a budgie, and can even cause health problems.
From current studies and information available we generally recommend a combination of the following:
- 40-70% premium commercial pellet appropriate to your species of parrot
- 20-35% vegetables (recommended vegetables include: capsicum, broccoli, chilli, corn, carrot, zucchini, squash, spinach, pumpkin, sweet potato, beans and peas) and sprouted seed
- 7-15% fruits (ie melons, strawberries, banana, blue berries, grapes, peaches, pear, apple) and native vegetation (most Australian blossoms, gum nuts and plants are okay to feed – ensure these are free of wild bird droppings/contact). Please ensure that all stone fruits and apples are free of their seeds.
- 10-15% quality commercial seed mix appropriate to your species of parrot.
- 1-2% snacks for training and as treats (unsalted nuts (ie macadamia, cashew and walnut), pasta, eggs and brown rice).
For more information on how to care for your Budgie properly click here
AVAILABLE FOR PICK UP IN STORE ONLY